Splinterlands provides all players the ability to determine which format they play in: Modern or Wild. Both have benefits and whether you choose one, the other, or both is totally up to you. Consider your collection as well as style of play when determining whether to compete in Modern or Wild.
- Wild Format
- Modern Format
- How can I tell whether a card is Modern or Wild at a Glance?
- How Do Rewards Work in Modern and Wild?
- What about Gladiator Cards?
- What about Tournaments?
Previously, cards were grouped by Edition. The move to Modern and Wild formats prompted the need to group cards by Set. Currently, there are 5 sets.
- Alpha Set: Alpha + Promo cards with Alpha borders
- Beta Set: Beta + Promo cards with Beta borders + Reward cards with Beta borders
- Untamed Set: Untamed + Promo cards with Untamed borders + Reward cards with Untamed borders + Dice edition
- Chaos Legion Set: Chaos Legion + Promo cards with Chaos Legion borders + Reward cards with Chaos Legion borders + Riftwatchers edition
- Rebellion Set: Rebellion + Promo cards with Rebellion borders. Reward cards and mini-sets pending.
**Use Card Market Filters at the top of the Cards and Market pages to sort cards by set
Wild Format uses all cards that Splinterlands has printed thus far. This includes Alpha, Beta, Untamed, Dice, Chaos Legion, Rebellion as well as all Reward and Promo cards.
Modern will always contain cards from the two most recent sets. Currently, those sets are Chaos Legion and Rebellion sets, as well as their associated Reward, Promo, and mini sets.
**Please note: Wild specific cards are not be playable in the Modern format.
How can I move between Modern and Wild Formats?
You can select your preferred format by toggling between Modern and Wild at the top of your Battle Page.
How can I tell whether a card is Modern or Wild at a Glance?
Compare the frames. Alpha, beta, and untamed frames are considered wild. Rebellion and Chaos Legion style frames are considered Modern. Eventually, you will be able to tell whether a card has a Modern or Wild frame at a glance!
Alpha Beta Untamed
Chaos Legion Rebellion
Our marketplace and items page allows you to sort by format as well.
How Do Rewards Work in Modern and Wild?
- Season reward chest tier is based on the maximum league achieved in the previous season in either format.
- A player’s Daily Focus chest tier is based on the current best league between the Modern & Wild formats, at the time the Daily Focus is started.
- Reward Points earned in both Modern and Wild formats contribute to a player’s Daily Focus and Season Rewards.
- In order to earn Reward Points, you must be at least Bronze III in either the Modern or Wild format.
- Review How to Earn Daily Focus Rewards and Season Rewards? and Daily Quest & Season Reward Chests
What about Gladiator Cards?
Gladiator cards are not included in a set as previously defined. They will only be usable in battles or brawls when the ruleset or conscript summoner is in play.
What about Tournaments?
Tournaments will move towards the Set model once the release is complete. Tournaments created before or during the transition time will adhere to the previous standard.
Please feel free to reach out to tech support with any questions or issues. We are happy to help! If you are a new player, the articles below should be of some use to you. Happy Battling!