Splinterlands Strongly recommends you create your own account, with your own username, email, and keys, as that is the only way to remain 100% secure.
**We cannot reimburse users for any losses resulting from peer to peer account/item sales, so it is up to users to keep themselves as safe as possible.
If you still want to buy a third party account via a P2P sale, there are some steps that you can do to keep yourself safer throughout the purchase. These are not necessarily ALL required, however, without each of these, the sale can become more of a risk.
- Use an intermediary whenever possible. You can ask around for a trusted Mod or Maverick to help you with these sales in our Trader-Chat on Discord
- Have the party you are buying from set the recovery account of the account for sale to
nulland wait for 30 days until that becomes permanent.
- Request the Spellbook purchase receipt or transaction ID for ownership verification purposes, in case needed in the future.
- Change the password to the Splinterlands account following the purchase, using 'Forgot Password' at login.
- Change the linked email to the account following this process.
- Update the keys to the account after purchase immediately.
In summary, peer to peer account sales with other players are possible, and people do engage in them often. However, Splinterlands as a company CANNOT recommend doing this, as any P2P sale involves risk, and potentially opens a user up to privacy and security concerns. If you are going to be involved in this space, please use the above recommendations whenever possible and always do everything you can to remain safe and finalize these sales successfully.
In cases where a bad actor takes advantage of these situations, there is no means for Splinterlands to reimburse a user, or track lost assets/accounts. You can, however, use the Discord to check peoples' reputations, as well as report good or bad sales yourself, to help other users in the future who may be interacting with the same sellers/buyers.