When you set up an account through Splinterlands, we create an account on the hive blockchain for you. That account has four keys and a master password associated with it. When you request your keys and receive them, BACK THEM UP and STORE THEM IN A SAFE PLACE!
Owner Key: This key is used to obtain a new master password and change the rest of your keys. Never share this or give this key as it is used to reset all the keys to new ones meaning GAME OVER!
Active Key: This is your financial key; any financial transaction on the hive blockchain requires this key. Within Splinterlands, the following operations require an active key:
- Creating a guild
- Contributing to a guild
- Adding an external wallet to your account
- Purchasing items from the market
- Renting from the market
- Renewing a rental from the market
- Gifting cards
- Selling cards,
- Canceling cards you have for sale
- Cancelling all items you have for sale at once
- Updating the price of a rental or card for sale
- Converting Alpha to Beta cards
- Gifting packs
- Burning cards
- Transferring skins
- Transferring items
- Trading titles
- Locking or unlocking assets or cancelling of unlocking of assets.
Posting Key: This key is a general entry key for your hive wallet. You can safely log in to many applications, including Splinterlands, Peakmonsters, and hive.blog, to name a few.
- To start a Daily Focus
- To start a ranked, brawl, or tournament battles
- Submitting a team
- Promoting a guild member
- To claim either Daily Focus or Season Rewards
- Combining cards
Memo Key: This key can be used in conjunction with the active key to send an encrypted message with a token transfer; typically 0.001 hive, and only the sender and receiver can read the message. We don't currently use the memo key within Splinterlands. You can use the memo key to send HIVE or HBD to someone with specific hive wallets like hive keychain or wallet.hive.blog, you can encrypt them, and you will need the memo key for that. Please do not put your memo key into the memo area of a transaction.