Hive is a fork of the Steem blockchain (essentially a split in a chain that results in a new blockchain/project, generally with some similarities to the first). Hive account naming rules are the same as Steem account naming rules. Hive usernames also function as wallet addresses; while some chains use a series of random characters for these, Hive allows usernames, which makes things much more convenient for users, and gives more of a customizable, expressive element to account creation.
Upon creating an account in Splinterlands, you will receive a random username, using one of the following seven "beginner" synonyms, and then a series of numbers:
pupil_XXXXX. The X's will be a random series of numbers; while these names are unique, these are not actual Hive usernames, and can only be changed to your permanent username/Hive address purchasing the Summoner's Spellbook and thereby upgrading your account. These custom, permanent usernames must follow some basic rules in order to be valid and created on the blockchain.
As mentioned above, when you create a username on chain, it is permanent and cannot be changed, so make sure to choose something you are comfortable with keeping!
The following are the various rules/constraints for usernames on the Hive chain:
- Valid characters include: lowercase letters (a-z), numbers (0-9), dashes/hyphens and periods.
$HeLlO_M@71would be examples of invalid names.
- Usernames must be between 3 and 16 characters long.
hellothisisfartoomanycharacterswould be examples of invalid names.
- Usernames must start with a lowercase letter and end with a lowercase letter or number.
K61are invalid names, but
- If a username has segments separated by periods, each segment must be a minimum of 3 characters in length.
a.b.c.71would be examples of invalid names, but
rofl.lolwould be valid.
- Dashes/hyphens and periods must have letters or numbers on both sides of EACH.
a61b61-would be examples of invalid names but
a61-b61would be valid.
Questions or issues with the above? Submit a request – Splinterlands